Get excited! This year, Charlie Banana® is taking #PeriodAction and joining Wen (Women’s Environmental Network) in its 2nd annual Environmenstrual Week of Action!
The week of 12 — 19th October, 2019.
All kinds of #Plasticfreeperiods events, including the Environmenstrual Festival in the UK.
Here at Charlie Banana®, we are celebrating by having 15% OFF select feminine pads and multi pouch bags (use code: EPERIODCB15)
Why should I care?
Because plastic periods affect your health — and your planet.
Did you know that…
- A menstrual pad can be made up of up to 90% plastic. Each year, about 1.5 — 2 billion menstrual products are flushed down the toilets — that’s just in Britain.
- Disposable menstrual products account for 200,000 tonnes of waste per year in the UK alone.
- Discarded tampons and pads ends up in landfills (if thrown in the trash) or in the ocean (if flushed down the toilet) and take up to 1,000 years to decompose.
- Every year, plastic waste takes lives up to 1 million seabirds and 100,000 sea mammals and marine turtles, as well as countless fish. Human health is affected, too.
- Non-organic menstrual products contain traces of chemical pesticides used to grow conventional cotton. Also, these chemicals harm the workers involved in cotton production.
- Bleaching process used for conventional menstrual pads can generate dioxin, one of the most toxic and persistent chemicals, known to cause reproductive disorders and cancer.
What can I do?
Washable cloth pads, menstrual cups and period underwear are all good options.
If you are not ready to completely give up the disposables just yet, switch to plastic-free 100% organic pads and tampons.
#PlasticFreePeriods are better for the environment — and for your health.
How can Charlie Banana® help?
We’ve created dozens of super-stylish and ultra-comfy reusable feminine pads that are safe, environmentally friendly and just downright cute! We promise you’ll love them.
To support #EWOA2019, we offer 15% OFF select feminine pads and multi pouch bags (use code: EPERIODCB15, valid 12 - 19 of October).
It’s time to take #PeriodAction!
Read more about Environmenstrual Week of Action here.
Find out how periods influence environment here.
Learn more about National Period Day here!
Sign the petition to end period poverty here.